Saturday 2 June 2012

Favourite movies 2000s

I am going to see Prometheus (finally!) tomorrow and I started thinking of what films have really stood out for me in the last 10 years, well since 2000! It was hard to choose but here are some of my favs in no particular order!

500 Days of Summer - 2009

 This has no become a bit of a cult film, but it is just such a good movie. Its a romantic/drama/comedy that works for men and women, its not too soppy and can be so heart-wrenching at times. It went against the typical romantic films and made the film a point of view from the mens perspective and showing that its not always the woman who gets hurt or heart broken but men too!
Zooey Deschanel and Jospeh Gorden-Levitt are perfect and you cannot imagine anyone else playing their charactors.


The soundtrack is also brilliant and has some classic smiths and pixies playing at different times during the movie. One particular scene which is really funny, where Tom (Goreden-Levitt) is drunk singing karoke of  the pixies song 'Here comes your man'.


Black Swan - 2010

I think these days it can be hard to get real emotional feelings when watching a movie, unless its a documentary or really hard hitting drama. I think Black Swan reall surprised people, I certainly felt over whelmed after watching it for the first time and did not expect to feel that way at all!
It is very dark, has supernatural undertones in some ways, and can really creep you out by getting into the mind of the charactor of Nina played by Natalie Portman. The ballet scenes are filmed beautifully and realistically too, which is very important I think. I did ballet when I was a kid and had all my aunties ballet books/annuals from the 1950s and 1960s and so I think I was always going to like this movie anyway, but I really think Darren Aronofsky did a brilliant job here and really showed just how great a director he really is!


Natalie Portman apparently worked really hard for 3 years leading to this role and it really does show! she became a professional ballet dancer in order for the dancing to come across as real as possible and she really did deserve her Oscar win for best actress.

28 days later - 2002
Obviously this started off ( along with shaun of the dead) the re-birth of the zombie movie into popular culture once again and if it hadnt been such a great movie then that possibly might not have happened. This british movie made by Danny Boyle went global and everyone went zombie mad!
It is not just a great zombie film but also a post-apocalyptic movie too! The London scenes are just amazing and I still really don't know how they did that, just made one of the worlds biggest cities seem totally empty!
It also made one of my favourite actors a star and that would be Cillian Murphy.
I think this is def my favourite zombie movie of the last 10 years, I did also like 28 weeks later, the remake of dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead, REC (original), zombieland and the tv series The Walking Dead, but nothing comes close the 28 days later in my opinion.

Atonement - 2007


I think this is the most beautiful film of the last 10 years and I just adore it! Not only does it look beautiful, it has amazing acting from all the main cast and a brillaint but sad storyline at the heart of it all. It also has a stand out score, using typewriter tapping sounds through out which of course is nodding towards the fact this film is based on a best selling book, but also the charactor who is at the centre of the whole twisted story is also a novelist herself, Briony (Played by Saoirse Ronan, Romola Garai and Vanessa Redgrave at different ages) and writes a book about her experiences as a child and then as an adult with her sister Cecilia (Keira Knightly) and Cecilia's boyfriend Robbie (James McAvoy).


Zodiac - 2007
This is, in my opinion David Finchers best movie! I absolutly love Se7en, fightclub, the social network and his reworking of the girl with the dragon tattoo. But, to me this is his best work. And I think it could also be due to the fact the story is so enthralling, with the Zodiac killer never having been caught to this day still which makes it such an intrigueing watch. Also The acting is superb and I think it is definatly one of the best roles ever for Robert Downey Jnr.


Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - 2004

Probably watched Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind about 30 times now! There is nothing else like this, even today there still has been no other movie that has come close to the weird world of Joel and Clementine when it comes to romantic comedys/dramas. I love it!




Obviously there are alot of others that I havent mentioned here such as The Dark Knight, No country for old men, There will be blood, American Psycho and alot more, but these are just some that I wanted to pick out today!

Thanks for reading! =]


xoxox






1 comment: